Thursday, November 4, 2010

Love of the Road

I like when people use journey metaphors.  It always makes me picture this long empty road in the middle of the desert leading to the most breathtaking mountains that almost don’t seem real.  I love that picture in my mind, just me and the stereo flying along, top down, wind in my hair, and I smile.  But the one thing that bugs me is that no metaphorical journey is like my mental picture.  Real journeys usually require a lot of walking and the path is never as straight or clear as my road.  And most, unfortunately, real life doesn’t have a soundtrack playing in the background.  Maybe that’s why I like driving so much.  For just an hour or two I can imagine life is easy even when in the back of my mind I can’t forget it’s not.  Maybe a few miles ahead I’ll find answers; maybe just around the bend.

No comments:

Post a Comment