Friday, August 10, 2012

A Day in Uganda

I have arrived safe and sound! The plane ride to Uganda was very long. After traveling to Houston, Newark, Brussels, and Kigali, Rwanda I am finally here. I made it with all my bags and a warm family to welcome me. It was almost surreal for the first 24 hours because I couldn't believe I was finally here. However, hugs from seven sets of little arms quickly made my new temporary home a reality. On my first night I awoke to the sound of birds and monkeys outside my room, and a mosquito net over my head. Everyone has been wonderful and I have loved getting to know the family members I did not know yet. For those of you who don't know I am staying with Kenneth and Kristi Williams and their seven, yes count them seven, children. Their names are Nevaeh, Rikot (pronounced: ree coat), Ezra, Zion, Israel, Selah, and Achuka (sounds likes it spelled).  It has been wonderful traveling through Uganda for the past two days. We are traveling because the airport where Camille (other girl visiting) is in Entebbe, but the village we will live in called Kacheri is over 300 miles from there. The family needed to pick up some supplies down South in the bigger cities so we are traveling through the lower region before going to Kacheri. Right now I am in Jinja (where Katie Davis lives, if you don't know her look her up, she's awesome) and we are staying at Arise Africa, a Christian guesthouse.  I am looking forward to getting to the village, getting unpacked, and starting a routine. It will be different than any routine I've had before, but I'm kind of looking forward to that too.  I brought presents for the kids, and we cannot open them until we get to the village, but they are chomping at the bit to get into that suitcase. I have enjoyed getting reacquainted with the Williams, and it has been so much fun traveling through the cities. The sights and sounds make me feel like an alien on a brand new world, but I can't wait to get to see and know more. Rikot is one of Kenneth and Kristi's adopted children, and I think she has taken a shine to me. I hope to post more soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment