Sunday, February 3, 2013

The Rain


I hear the crack of thunder and the rain as it hits the roof of my small rental house.  Looking out my window I smile.  I reach for the phone to call you, it’s raining, let’s do it, but then I remember you’re gone.  I think, and I look back for you in the only place we remain, my memory.
            “We need to find some rain Bee, I love standing out in the rain, the bigger the storm the better,” Aaron said.  “Have you ever stood out in the rain?”
            “Ha, no.  I was always told that’s how you get pneumonia,” I answered.
            “Well, pneumonia or not, it’s one the best feelings in the world,” he answered.  “It’s the chance to be surrounded by noise and silence.  To be clean again, for what feels like the first time.  We can play music loud in the car while we spin hoping it never stops.”
“Come on Bee let’s find some rain.”
 He looked over at me in the passenger seat and smiled.  I smiled back nodded, and headed for highway.  One o’clock in the morning, bag of chips and Smirnoffs in the backseat, and my best friend singing along to our newest theme song, this is, that was the best time of my life.
            The rain begins to let up, but as the thunder creeps through the house, the only sound surrounding me, I step onto my back porch and into the yard.  Maybe just one more time, somewhere out there he’s standing in the rain too.  Maybe we can just stand in the rain together one more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment